20 Jun Weekend Getaway to Cincinnati
Weekend Getaway: Cincinnati
You have kids and a vacation becomes more like a trip.
There’s no vacationing with kids around, if we’re being honest.
Because my kiddos are so young, the thought of a long drive or spending a ton of money on a huge trip doesn’t seem worth it. Instead, we decided to create memories inside our very own state.
If you didn’t know, Ohio has some amazing places to visit, one being Cincinnati.
A short 90 minute drive is all it takes and it’s the perfect two-day getaway. In fact, you could even extend that a day or two to be honest.
I’ve outlined the perfect trip to Cincy with the family.
Day #1: Great Wolf Lodge
Leave early, but no need to get up at 5am.
Leave the house around 10am in hopes for an early check in. If you’re visiting during the week, there’s a great chance you’ll get into your room early.
- head straight to the water park or
- stop by the arcade.
- Each child is greeted with wolf ears. My kiddos wore those things everywhere…except the water park, of course.
- The water park! This is an obvious, but must be said. There were choices for kids of all ages. It was pretty slow the day we went, which is a pro tip I have:
- Go during the week right after all the spring breaks in the world! Ha! Seriously, if you can do it with your schedule you’ll beat the crowds.
- The rooms. Guys, the bunkbed area did it for my kids. They were in serious bed heaven. It felt like they had their own little room, and….(drum roll) they had a tv of their own! This was up there with the actual water park for them.
- Need a break from the water park? There’s plenty to keep you busy:
- “Explore the lodge and take part in the adventure of a lifetime! MagiQuest turns Great Wolf Lodge into your own personal playground. You’ll choose a special magic wand, top it with extra powers, and set off on a quest. Immerse yourself in Vellara, a realm of enchantment, as you befriend the Treetop Pixies, battle Charlock, the evil dragon and fight to defeat the Goblin King.”
- Ten Paw Alley:
- “Put on your own paw wear and find out how our half-length lanes and five-pound balls make bowling come alive for toddlers, teens and tall ones alike. You’ll watch the sense of accomplishment transform simple skills into thrilling and fulfilling family fun.”
- “Take your quest to the next level, young Magi! We need your help to battle the Shadowlord and collect runes in this challenging interactive adventure. The ShadowQuest guidebook provides secrets and clues to help you cast spells and complete your mission to save the light before it vanishes forever! When you succeed, you’ll receive a medal for your courage!”
- “Get swept up in the quest! Extend your live-action MagiQuest journey with CompassQuest, and discover untold layers of mystery, adventure and treasure. Players use high-tech compasses to unlock nine new adventures, unveiling maps and decoding endless secrets in the stars. A great group activity, this add-on encourages teamwork along with plenty of smiles and laughter for the ultimate Great Wolf Lodge immersion experience! Get swept up in the quest! Extend your live-action MagiQuest journey with CompassQuest, and discover untold layers of mystery, adventure and treasure. Players use high-tech compasses to unlock nine new adventures, unveiling maps and decoding endless secrets in the stars. A great group activity, this add-on encourages teamwork along with plenty of smiles and laughter for the ultimate Great Wolf Lodge immersion experience!”
- Northern Lights Arcade:
- Come on in for bright lights and big delights! Our gigantic arcade is filled with fun things to do for kids of all ages. You’ll find everything from air hockey and basketball to motorcycle and car racing. Whether you choose games of chance or skill, you’re sure to hit the jackpot with your entire family. And your Paw Points don’t expire! Bring your card back when you visit again for more dazzling arcade fun.
- Howl at the Moon Golf:
- “Dazzlingly colorful, nature-themed challenges follow glowing pathways under a moonlit sky. Get your glow golf game on and howl at the moon as you engage in this black-light-illuminated take on a family vacation favorite.”
- Creation Station:
- “Your Wolf Pup’s favorite Great Wolf Kids character comes to life right before your eyes at the Creation Station. Choose a friend-for-life, and take your pick of outfits, colorful costumes and accessories. Then watch in awe as your plush toy gets filled. You can even dress your child in clothing to match!”
- Ten Paw Alley:
I just realized I don’t have any pics from inside the water park. I saw people with clear bags/covers for their phones that I wish I would have had on the trip. I DID find one last week at FIVE below–linked HERE.
We found our tickets to Great Wolf Lodge on Groupon. They have deals every so often, so I would wait until the next deal comes around to purchase. Also, go during the week if you can!
2501 Great Wolf Dr
Mason, OH 45040
Day #2: Newport Aquarium
- Tide Pool Touch
- The Tide Pool in our Shore Gallery is home to a variety of amazing creatures you can touch including sea stars, horseshoe crabs and anemones.
- Frog Bog
- Kids can see secret frog tanks visible only when they climb through tunnels and tubes in the kids-only Frog Bog jungle gym.
- Shark Tank Overlook
- Shark Bridge is the world’s first suspended rope bridge where guests can walk just inches above more than a dozen sharks, shark rays and other ocean animals. This V-shaped rope bridge is 75-feet long and is suspended over the open water of the 385,000 gallon Surrounded by Sharks exhibit.
- Stingray Hideaway
- Kids and adults can crawl through a 30-foot underwater tunnel and get eye-to-eye with stingrays. A special viewing tube allows you to pop-up inside the pool as stingrays swim all around you!
1, Levee Way
Newport, KY 4107
Day #3: Stay at Westin
- ROOFTOP Pool
- There’s an indoor heated lap pool, a 3.6-foot whirlpool, a glass-enclosed shower with hand-held showerhead, and a group of chaise lounges with plush cushions perfect for reading or just relaxing.
- In-room Spa
- Pricing is $150 for 60 minutes or $200 for 90 minutes
- Every in-room spa treatment has a a basket that contains a spa music CD to be played before and during your treatment as well as a selection of plant based aromatherapy oils and room sprays allowing you to choose your own scent for the treatment.
We obviously had our own in-room spa. Next time, I’m getting pampered. Mark my word!
- Fitness Studio (located next to the pool)
- Five treadmills, four crosstrainers, two recumbent bikes, two adjustable benches, a cable-motion dual-adjustable pulley, a pro-style rubber dumbbell set (5 to 50 pounds), stretching mats, stability balls, and resistance tubes.
- They provide athletic shoes and apparel during your stay! Wow!
Did you see the amazing customer service they have? We had some issues at check in and were greeted with milk and cookies!
21 E. 5th Street
Day #4: Cincinnati Zoo
- Who doesn’t want to see the cutest hippo?
- Spacing–everything is so close together. We saw so many areas because there was less walking between exhibits.
- The exhibit features a petting yard, animal nursery, playground, and a variety of animals including baby miniature cows, llamas and alpacas!
PAINTED DOG VALLEY
- African painted dogs are known for their large, round ears and beautifully “painted”, multi-colored coats. At the turn of the 20th century there were more than 500,000 painted dogs in 39 countries. Today, there are only 3,000 dogs in Tanzania, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and South Africa combined.
- Train Ride
- This train ride beats any train ride I’ve ever taken. It takes you all around the zoo, including over water!
3400 Vine St.